Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Revamping a childhood favorite

It took everything I had yesterday to actually do my pure barre workout. I thought of every excuse in the book. Finally I decided that if I just knocked it out, I would treat myself to some wine with dinner. 
knocking it out

One of my favorite meals as a kid was Kraft Mac& Cheese with cut up hot dogs and peas mixed in. When I found this recipe online, I couldn't stop craving it. Of course making a few tweeks to help make it "healthier"
I followed the directions for this Greek yogurt Mac and Cheese. This was my first time to ever make mac and cheese that didn't come out of a blue box. Of course I was hesitant at first, because lets be honest, the kraft kind is pretty amazing, but this was absolutely delicious!!! 

click for recipe

serves 4-6
    • 8 oz. (about 2 cups) elbow pasta (I used whole wheat)
    • 8 oz. (about 2 cups) shredded cheese (a sharp cheddar is great)
    • 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt (I love Chobani)
    • 2 cups fresh spinach
    • salt & pepper, to taste
    • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
    • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder

Cook the macaroni according to the package's instructions (about 8-10 minutes), until al dente.

Place the spinach leaves in the bottom of a strainer, and pour the pasta over top to drain and wilt the spinach.  Save about 1/2 cup of the pasta water.  Return the cooked macaroni and wilted spinach to the pot.

Add about 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pot, and stir in the cheese until melted.  Stir in the greek yogurt, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper, until smooth and creamy.  Stir in the remaining pasta water to thin, if necessary.  Serve immediately. 


I sauteed some spicy chicken sausage and heated up some peas to throw on top.

yummm. 
As I'm writing this all I can think about is how excited I am to go home and eat the leftovers for dinner :) 
Hope yall enjoy. xo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment